How to Choose Your Wedding Photographer
Your wedding photographer is one of the most important choices you’ll make during wedding planning. After all, they’ll be responsible for capturing your big day in all its beauty! But with so many talented photographers out there, how do you choose the right one?
Here are a few tips to help you select the best wedding photographer for you:
1. Determine your budget – Before you research photographers, decide what you can comfortably afford to spend on wedding photography. Knowing this ahead of time helps narrow down the field and ensure that you don’t fall in love with a photographer who is out of your price range. Most couples spend between 10-15% of their budget on photography.
2. Understand your timeline – It’s unlikely that you’ll know the timeline of your day when you are picking your photographer, but understanding the flow of your day will help you determine how many hours of photography you will need. Here’s where your wedding planner can come in handy! Knowing your timeline helps ensure you pick a photographer whose target package falls within your budget. For example, if you need ten hours of photography and have a strict budget of $6,500, you may not want to inquire with photographers that charge $6,000 for eight hours. The average cost of a wedding photographer in Northern Virginia is $4,000-7,000 for eight hours.
3. Research styles – There are many different types of photography styles, from classic and traditional to modern and artful. In recent years, we have seen most clients choose between fine art, editorial, and true to life photography. Do your research to determine which type you prefer, as this will help you narrow down the list of potential photographers.
4. Check portfolios – Once you’ve decided on a style, browse through the portfolios of various wedding photographers in your area to find one that best fits your needs. While their websites and socials will post their favorite images from each event, most photographers will send you a full gallery if you ask. We recommend asking for galleries with and without a second shooter, if it is something you are considering adding to your package.
5. Ask questions – Once you’ve narrowed down your list of potential photographers, it’s time to schedule a consultation to make sure you’re a good fit! Check out our next post for our suggested questions to ask your wedding photographer.
With these guidelines in mind, you’re sure to find a wonderful photographer who will capture your special day perfectly!